[Xorg] why is it so hard to get specs?

Jon Smirl jonsmirl at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 9 07:43:59 PDT 2004

Talking to some of the Nvidia/ATI people I would say it is more out of
fear of being sued for patent infrigement that it is a desire to keep
anything secret. Providing the specs provides documantation for someone
to sue them with. It's unintentional infringement they are worried
about, not intentional.

--- Sean Middleditch <elanthis at awesomeplay.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-07-09 at 10:12, David Eger wrote:
> > I'm curious:
> >
> > Why don't ATI/Nvidia/etc. ever seem to want to release programming
> specs
> > for their chips or source code for their drivers?
>
> This is a really old topic; the answer has been stated very many
> times
> before in the list archives and elsewhere...
>
> Long story short, they don't want competitors to know the interfaces
> their hardware, or because they license hardware components from
> third
> parties, they are legally obligated not to release the hardware
> interface information.
> --
> Sean Middleditch <elanthis at awesomeplay.com>
> AwesomePlay Productions, Inc.