[Fwd: Re: [Xorg] X on OpenGL]

Billy Biggs vektor at dumbterm.net
Sat Jul 10 15:10:29 PDT 2004

Solerman Kaplon (solerman at wonder.com.br):

> David Reveman wrote:
> >Performance gain is probably even better on newer systems, I think
> >nvidia is now actually using the 3D engine to do Xv PutImage requests
> >for Xv adapters on geforce4 and geforceFX cards in their latest
> >driver.
>
> Correct, from the release highlights (
> http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_ia32_1.0-6106.html ):
>
> - Added a new Xv adaptor on GeForce4 and GeForce FX which uses the 3D
> engine to do Xv PutImage requests.

  Note that this is in addition to the hardware overlay.  There are
advantages to the hardware overlay hardware which make it preferable for
high quality video:

  1. It is dedicated hardware optimized for video playback: colour
     conversion filters and scalers are better optimized for this task
  2. Overlay hardware always page flips on retrace so it never
     experiences tearing

  For these reasons it is important to keep around this functionality.

  -Billy