[Xorg] Implementing "Xv" extension on DDX which don't support it in hardware...

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Sun Jul 11 11:13:43 PDT 2004

On Sul, 2004-07-11 at 19:34, Roland Mainz wrote:
> Is there a way to implement the "Xv" extension on hardware which doesn't
> support it (for example Xnest, Xvfb etc.) ?

I guess since nobody can see the display in Xvfb a "correct"
implementation would be to offer Xv overlays that have no-op functions
(and anyone reading back the fb - well its a hardware overlay so you
dont see the data ;))

For Xnest there is certainly nothing preventing it providing you go off
and write enough code. Xnest is an Xwindow, that means the Xv layer of
the master X server is perfectly capable of handling an Xv subwindow in
the Xnest window - you just have to get all the overlay offsets correct
and propogate the functionality.