[Xorg] OT: radeon questions

Diego Calleja García diegocg at teleline.es
Mon Jul 12 07:59:20 PDT 2004

El Mon, 12 Jul 2004 11:20:43 +0200 Michel Dänzer <michel at daenzer.net> escribió:

> On Mon, 2004-07-12 at 05:06 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> >
> > I've added a 'modprobe radeonfb' to my rc.local but haven't yet
> > rebooted.  modprobing it while x is running (XFree86-4.3.2) resulted
> > in severe screen damages that required several screen switches to
> > fully recover,
>
> Sure, that's a bad idea. You're lucky nothing worse happened.

I have been seeing that behaviour for a while, when I modprobe radeonfb
from a Eterm inside Xfree almost everything goes black, things start reappearing
when they're redraw, I just change virtual desktops and most of the screen
seems to be redrawn  w/o any problem (icewm window manager). In fact I've been
trying kdrive with the fb driver and it used to work - right now
in 2.6.7-mm7 it just hangs when I start kdrive (radeon 9200 se in a SMP p3)
from debian sid's Xfree dri enabled) but still I've not been able to get a
backtrace.