[Xorg] Re: i830 driver status..

Eric Anholt eta at lclark.edu
Mon Jul 19 13:29:27 PDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-07-19 at 07:25, Alex Deucher wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 15:20:05 +0100, Keith Whitwell
> <keith at tungstengraphics.com> wrote:
> > Mike A. Harris wrote:

> > > I think it is a great idea if the DRI CVS tree moves into X.org,
> > > either on Xorg CVS head, or on a branch - either would be better
> > > than having so many different repositories to track, and merging
> > > would probably be much smoother also, and could possibly be done
> > > more often as well.
> > >
> > > Please bring this up on the xorg at freedesktop.org list if it
> > > hasn't already (haven't checked my xorg folder).  The new release
> > > is looming on the near horizon for late August or thereabouts, so
> > > it would be nice if this change could occur before then.
> >
> > Yes, my hope is now that people will just do their X work on the X.org CVS
> > repository (like regular X developers - the old DRI/X distinction was pretty
> > artificial) and the DRI tree can be archived.
>
> before we archive it, we ought to bring the WIP (savage, mach64,
> virge, etc.) drivers over to a banch in XORG.

I'm thinking maybe we don't want to use a branch.  Here's the idea: We
make the DevelDRIDrivers define in imake include all these new,
insecure, not-guaranteeing-backwards-compatibility drivers, and they're
only turned on when we add #define BuildDevelDRIDrivers YES.  For the
DDXs of those drivers, we add this to their Imakefile

#if !BuildDevelDRIDrivers
#undef BuildXF86DRI
#endif

Now, no more fighting with branches, merges both directions, etc.  We
get to keep saying "These drivers are insecure, we don't guarantee
backwards compatibility," etc. because they're disabled.  Our users are
happy that they don't have to learn about checking out branches to get
their drivers.  And we can ensure that we continue covering compiling of
both paths in trunk by using the tinderbox.

Eric Anholt                                eta at lclark.edu
http://people.freebsd.org/~anholt/         anholt at FreeBSD.org