[Xorg] Memory usage under latest X.org server.

spook spook at spc.org
Wed Jul 21 15:59:39 PDT 2004

Hello,

I have just installed slackware 10, which for the first time contains the
x.org xserver. It seems to work well for the most part, but my X process
uses far more memory than I could have imagined it would need, and causes my
system to act in a sluggish fashion. Previously, X would use a maximum of
20% of my 256M of ram, and my system would hardly ever use any swap. With
the new X.org server, my X process uses FAR more than this, and the longer
it stays running, the more it devours, including swap.
27609 root      19   0  227m 173m 4380 R  5.3 69.3  23:32.92 X
(top output)

My gfx card is a Radeon 7000, PCI version. I have not specified a conf file
for X, but just run startx from the command line and go with the defaults. I
have asked on a number of forums but no one has been able to help, likewise
there is nothing that I could google that was pertinant. Any help that you
could shed on this would be much appreciated: I have no idea whether this is
a  bug or a configuration bug.
Thanks