[Xorg] xkb usage with multiple layouts

Viktor Kojouharov saturn_vk at abv.bg
Thu Jul 22 23:35:58 PDT 2004

is there any way to use these layouts together: us,bg,jp. some layouts, like us,ru,au or other combinations can be used together, according to various sources. however, upon trying to switch to us,bg,jp, I get an error:

saturn_vk at sat:~$ setxkbmap -layout us,bg,jp -variant ,phonetic, -v -v
Warning! Multiple definitions of keyboard layout
Using command line, ignoring X server
Warning! Multiple definitions of layout variant
Using command line, ignoring X server
Applied rules from base:
model: pc104
layout: us,bg,jp
variant: ,phonetic,
Trying to build keymap using the following components:
keycodes: xfree86+aliases(qwerty)
types: complete
compat: complete+leds(scroll)
symbols: pc(pc104)+us+bg(phonetic):2+jp:3+group(ctrl_shift_toggle)
geometry: pc(pc104)
parse error: line 1 of pc
The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:
> Error: Error interpreting include file "pc"
> Exiting
> Abandoning symbols file "default"
Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server
(EE) Error loading keymap /var/tmp/server-0.xkm
Error loading new keyboard description

I know for certain that these different keys can be used together. A cheap hack is making one of the three inputs as a third level, however it's not pretty, and it's not anywhere near perfect. Is there another way?