[Xorg] New Render polygon semantics. New Render request (RenderAddTraps)

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Thu Jul 29 01:16:11 PDT 2004

I've updated the proposed Render specification to include a more complete
specification for polygon rasterization using the regular point-sampling
grid discussed here earlier and to include a new AddTraps request using a
simplified interface and smaller trapezoid encoding.

The Xrender library has been updated to include the new request.

The X server source code for xserver.freedesktop.org includes a
preliminary implementation of the new semantics.  Performance isn't great
yet, but I wanted to produce a brief implementation which was "obviously"
correct before moving on to a fancier more efficient algorithm.

The existing Trapezoids and Triangles requests use the new fill semantics,
so testing applications using those requests will help flush out any bugs
in the rasterization code.  So far things are looking about the same, which
was expected.

As always, comments on the protocol specification would be especially
welcome; I'm hoping we're nearing the end of the Render extension
specification and can potentially bring that to a 1.0 release sometime
soon.

-keith