[Xorg] CVS HEAD -- ftfuncs.c:931: error: structure has no membernamed `find_sbit_image'

Daniel Stone daniel at freedesktop.org
Fri Jul 30 11:11:48 PDT 2004

On Fri, Jul 30, 2004 at 07:57:50PM +0200, Roland Mainz wrote:
> There was no "WE". There was only ONE person who started the rants. The
> same person who started this thread again... again less than 24h before
> the freeze.
> Keith Packard: Why are _you_ always coming up with such kind of
> "problems" in the last minute ?

The FreeType thing is a problem, and it only occurred, as you say, in
the last minute. It's a problem which needs to be resolved.

> > If they want to use
> > the optimization, simply update their system freetype to 2.1.8 and
> > recompile and bam, everything works.    Remember, that's what you're
> > telling every single user to do as is, only most of them don't even get
> > an optimization out of the deal.
>
> Hint: The last X release made FreeType>= 2.1.7 mandatory, later it was
> updated to V2.1.8 due lots of problems in 2.1.7 AND the issue with the
> CJKV optimisation. So the vendors have two choices:
> 1. Using a buggy FreeType 2.1.7
>   OR
> 2. Use FreeType 2.1.8
>
> The 2nd option would trouble users much less...

So we'll leave everyone who doesn't run around updating their external
modules every single X release in the cold. Yeah, that's great.

If you're all for that, I suggest we remove support for core font
rendering altogether, as well as such legacy crap as Xprint and vga.

--
Daniel Stone                                            <daniel at freedesktop.org>
freedesktop.org: powering your desktop                http://www.freedesktop.org