Problems getting developer access to the xorg cvs

Daniel Stone daniel at freedesktop.org
Mon Nov 1 11:07:00 PST 2004

On Mon, Nov 01, 2004 at 11:00:18AM -0800, Deron Johnson wrote:
> In this particular case it wasn't really an issue of verifying that Amir
> is a good person to receive developer access. The issue was that we
> couldn't find any one person who has the responsibility of granting this
> access. We only knew who PREVIOUSLY had the responsibility. Even Stuart
> Kreitman, who is on the Xorg board, was unable to determine this.
>
> Does anybody know who currently has the responsibility for granting
> developer access?

Myself, Jim Gettys, Kevin Martin, and Stuart Kreitman are the resident
administrators that are also around X.Org.  I tend to do this if it's
obvious and/or there is significant conensus -- mindful of the fact that
I don't hold any position within X.Org as such.

> I think it would benefit Xorg to have a specific mailing list, besides
> site-wranglers, which is a moderated list, for people to send to when
> they are requesting developer access. Call it something like
> xorg-developer-request at freedesktop.org. All you need to do is make
> sure that somebody is always assigned to handle requests sent to this
> alias. This would be a very simple solution to implement.

Honestly, I don't want to be on another mailing list.  I think what
would be better is if we used Bugzilla or Request Tracker or something
for these sorts of things.  I've been working on overhauling the
authentication system (so we can let people request/create accounts for
their particular projects without granting them root, e.g.), and I
have actually factored this into it.

--
Daniel Stone                                            <daniel at freedesktop.org>