code bloat [was Re: Semaphore assembly-code bug]

Kendall Bennett KendallB at scitechsoft.com
Mon Nov 1 15:38:54 PST 2004

Adam Jackson <ajax at nwnk.net> wrote:

> Backing store and XAA are mutually exclusive.  If you do an
> XAA-accelerated operation to a region with a backing store, then
> you invalidate the backing store.  Woops.
>
> XAA goes to a lot of effort to accelerate the primitives no one
> uses, and desperately needs to be taken out behind the barn and
> shot.  KAA accelerates probably a tenth of the ops XAA
> accelerates, but they're the right tenth so the code is simpler
> and the performance way better.

KAA? Is that the new driver model that Keith was working on, or something
else? Where do I find more information on this.

Regards,

---
Kendall Bennett
Chief Executive Officer
SciTech Software, Inc.
Phone: (530) 894 8400
http://www.scitechsoft.com

~ SciTech SNAP - The future of device driver technology! ~