Debugging X.org drivers?

Vladimir Dergachev volodya at mindspring.com
Tue Nov 2 09:05:37 PST 2004

>> What probably happenned is that the following files
>> /usr/X11/lib/X11/xdm/Xsession
>> /usr/X11/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc
>> got overwritten with defaults - these files are shell scripts that
>> are executed when you login using xdm or startx respectively.
>
> That makes sense, but how can I stop make install from replacing those
> files? Ie: to upgrade the existing install?

I don't think there is an easy way. If you make them immutable the install
might fail outright.

The thing is that, IMO, RedHat should not be messing with these files in
the first place.

For example, Xsession (used by xdm) checks for existance of /etc/xprofile
and source it then - whatever modifications RedHat felt it needed to make
should be done there.

As for /usr/X11/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc - it looks like I have been wrong,
it is not overwritten, in fact I can't find this file on my other
computer.

                         best

                           Vladimir Dergachev