Extending XFixes Extension

Owen Taylor otaylor at redhat.com
Thu Nov 4 10:25:43 PST 2004

On Wed, 2004-11-03 at 19:18 +0100, Amir Bukhari wrote:
> The current Xserver does not give client the ability to query the server to
> ask it which window belongs to (to client). A good example is: a Window
> Manager can build a list of all window which belong to a client and so it
> can manipulate its appearance as it wants and each client could have its
> look and feel differently from others clients.
> This may be needed with 3D desktop like ours (Looking Glass 3D).
>
> What did you think about this feature to add it to Xfixes?

Should a window manager really treat windows differently based on what
connection has been made to the display?

Would a window manager want to treat differently:

 - Multiple xterms on your desktop (different processes)
 - Different gnome-terminals on your desktop (same process)

What about a single process that opens two display connections?

The ICCCM and the NET WM spec already give ways of having:

 - A group of windows with a group leader (in WM_HINTS)
 - A session managed application (SM_CLIENT_ID)
 - The PID of an application (though the window manager shouldn't
   care about that either)

I don't see any reason to extend that to listing particular display
connections. It's somewhat interesting for a profiler - and the
X-Resource extension I think does list clients. But other than that,
I don't think it's relevant information.

From rom what you are describing above, I think the concept you want
is the window group based on the group leader.

Regards,
						Owen