Extending XFixes Extension

Owen Taylor otaylor at redhat.com
Thu Nov 4 18:22:11 PST 2004

On Thu, 2004-11-04 at 23:09 +0100, Amir Bukhari wrote:

> > I don't see any reason to extend that to listing particular display
> > connections. It's somewhat interesting for a profiler - and the
> > X-Resource extension I think does list clients. But other than that,
> > I don't think it's relevant information.
> > From rom what you are describing above, I think the concept you want
> > is the window group based on the group leader.
> >
> your though is based on 2D Desktop, what we implement is 3D Desktop,
> that mean all top-level windows (including non-redirect one) are all
> managed with 3D Window Manager, so it nees a lot of information about
> application to render their top-level windows.
> GNOME give for example give popup windows a group leader, which is
> different of from dialog boxes and this also different from the main
> application window, so 3D Manager doesn't know (for examole) to which it
> should attache the popup menus. think about of you have more than
> applications opened!

GTK+ is actually pretty liberal about setting ICCCM properties on
override-redirect windows. Just checked a menu and it indeed
has the group leader hint on it, plus most of the other stuff
GTK+ sets on managed window.

But how does knowing the display connection tell you what window a
popup should be attached to? Apps with multiple toplevels are common?
If you want to get that information right, I think you need
to make requests to toolkit authors to start setting the transient-for
hints on popups. We'd be happy to do that for GTK+.
(_NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE would also be useful it seems.)

I guess display connection information could be a last-resort fallback,
but for that, I think you could just assume the standard 8/24
split and go off the XID. Or use some other last resort mechanism
like the last window that received a mouse or keyboard event before
the window was mapped.

Regards,
						Owen