Misterious Xorg 6.8.1 keyboard problem

Anton Markov anton at truxtar.com
Mon Nov 8 14:53:09 PST 2004

Sergei Mutovkin wrote:
> Thank you, my error was that I used -vt7 not just vt7... However, it
> all works until I try to switch to either vt1 or vt2 (vt3-6 work). My
> keyboard is blocked and nothing works. :(
>
> I wonder, it seems that when X starts it takes from somewhere the
> image that was last shown before X closed in previous session. Or at
> least some kind of image is displayed before X fully initializes....
> As if X stores somewhere screenshots of previous screens. Also I have
> kernel 2.4.18 here with bootsplash patches, when X Starts there are
> crazy artifacts - like two stacked  framebuffer images with inverted
> colors, or if booted without framebuffer I can see for a half a second
> the last ever picture displayed in Xserver...  Very weird...

Hmm, I've had similar problems when using the framebuffer device with
DRM drivers. It seems like the framebuffer is displaying the content of
the video memory, without actually updating it. That would explain the
"screenshot" effect.

I am currently seeing this when running xcompmgr and switching to
another VT. However, switching back to the X server's VT allows me to
keep working, but I can't switch to a text-based console.

Anyone else have any idea why these problems happen?

--
Anton Markov <("anton" + "@" + "truxtar" + "." + "com")>

GnuPG Key fingerprint =
5546 A6E2 1FFB 9BB8 15C3  CE34 46B7 8D93 3AD1 44B4

*** LINUX - MAY THE SOURCE BE WITH YOU! ***