X configuration paradigm, and a proposal

Nathan Hand nathanh at manu.com.au
Mon Nov 8 21:48:38 PST 2004

On Sun, 2004-11-07 at 22:09 -0300, Avi Alkalay wrote:
> > Why ? GConf doesn't depend on X.
>
> GConf may not depend on X. But GConf has so many dependencies that to
> make X depend on GConf will break X cross-platform status: whenever
> you want to bring X, you'll have to bring also GConf, and Bonobo, OAF,
> GLib (that depends on X), etc.

glib does not depend on X.

I'm pretty sure gconf does not depend on X either. Near as I can
tell it depends on orbit, glib, libdl and libpopt.

> This is why I think it can't be GConf.

I think if you're going to consider a rewrite of the Xorg config
system you should avoid needlessly reinventing the wheel.

--
My word, you could have all your politicians in little boxes. Very
handy.