Composite and Shared Memory?

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Mon Nov 15 09:25:35 PST 2004

Around 11 o'clock on Nov 14, Amir Bukhari wrote:

> this give us the ability to use Shared Memory Pixmap as off-screen, so we
> didn't need to copy the redirected window pixmap to our shared memory
> pixmap each time Damage occure.

That's a neat idea; I'm not sure how we could make it work though.
Composite needs to create new pixmaps whenever the window size changes,
and it can't be asynchronous (or we lose a bunch of X semantics).  So,
somehow you'd have to have shared memory space sufficient to hold the new
window contents.

Alternatively, we could create a request to *replace* the current pixmap
with another which could be in shared memory.  That would have to be the
'right' size (or Match error).

Anyone else have a better idea?

-keith