Xati

Jack Lecou jackl at frenetic.com
Tue Nov 23 13:21:38 PST 2004

Is the kdrive ATI server expected to be in a working state presently? No
worries if not, but if it is supposed to be working, I have bad news:

I more or less followed the directions at
http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software_2fXserverInstallGuide

Xvesa, Xfbdev, and Xglx work as expected, but the Xati server reacts
*very* badly to my system (Thinkpad X31 w/ Radeon Mobility M6). It
appears to start OK initially, showing the cursor and normal B&W root
pattern, BUT:

* xterm displays only as a sort of disturbance in the root pattern where
text should be, it's possible to make it out by dragging a selection,
but the reverse text is still heavily corrupted. It's difficult to
describe. (I'm guessing it's a problem with the framebuffer layout or
something - IIRC I managed to start Sawfish once, and it resulted in a
band of multicolored noise roughly where I'd expect the title bar, then
a hard lock.)

* Here's the really weird part (at least to me): it's usually not
possible to do anything with the xterm, because, 9 times out of 10,
running an xterm inside the xserver somehow corrupts executable loading.
Trying to run any dynamically linked executable afterwords (e.g., "ls"),
results in bash reporting "no such file or directory" - and not just in
the xterm, the whole system is nuked, only a reboot seems to fix it.
Statically linked stuff, e.g., "/bin/busybox ls", still works. Also,
this only seems to happen after actually starting the xterm client,
running then killing Xati alone doesn't appear to break anything.

Probably I am doing something (horribly, horribly) wrong here, any
pointers would be much appreciated.