Matrox G550 driver source and AMD64

Luc Verhaegen libv at skynet.be
Mon Nov 29 17:08:09 PST 2004

On Tue, Nov 30, 2004 at 05:39:46PM -0700, James Earl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just recently built an AMD64 based system using an Asus A8V Deluxe
> motherboard and a Matrox G550 graphics card.  I'm running FreeBSD
> 5.3-RELEASE/amd64.
>
> I have a slight issue in that I can't use Matrox's binary drivers any
> longer now that I'm using FreeBSD amd64.  I did notice that Matrox
> provides driver source (mgadriver-4.0-src.tar.gz).
>
> Would it be possible to integrate this into X.org in future releases so
> that the mga_hal_drv.o is no longer required to be downloaded from
> Matrox?
>
> ...or, is there anyway that I may be able to learn how to build this
> mga_hal_drv.o myself if Matrox doesn't allow their sources to be bundled
> with Xorg?
>
> James

Adam Jackson recently attempted to contact Matrox on their license:
http://forum.matrox.com/mga/viewtopic.php?t=12917
I believe he was refered to legal at matrox.com by sales, i'm not sure if
he got a response from legal.

Btw, this driver source they released is only really an update to the
Xorg MIT licensed driver to support a new mga_hal ABI, nothing more.

Luc Verhaegen.