Elektrified X.org released (was: X configuration paradigm, and a proposal)

Avi Alkalay avibrazil at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 08:34:47 PST 2004

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 11:23:38 -0500, Alan Cox <alan at redhat.com> wrote:
> In all the systems I've seen so far trying to just burn disk and performance
> with simple key/value pairs this isn't true because
>
>         1.      You need to do locking

It does.

>         2.      You need to do atomic changes of multiple keys

Of course. And in current xorg.conf text file you have to rewrite it all.

>         3.      You might run out of disk space
>         4.      You need rollback

So the app handling the keys must be mature enough to roll it back.

> The current xorg.conf certainly doesn't solve these either but anything trying
> to be a grad unified config scheme just won't work with one file per key.
> Gconf proved that pretty conclusively.

Again this detail? How many time I'll have to say that a key/value
hierarchy paradigm value is a unified namespace and API? The way it
deals with storage is an implementation detail that can be
reimplemented without breaking the applications.

About storage, 1 file per key or 1 file per folder uses almost the
same amount of disk space. Do a 'du -sk' in gconf storage folders to
see that.