Elektrified X.org released (was: X configuration paradigm, and a proposal)

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Tue Nov 30 15:45:48 PST 2004

On Tue, 2004-11-30 at 13:23 -0500, Jim Gettys wrote:
> David,
>
> I agree with you and Kristian and I have started work, specifically on
> the input system side to do exactly what you suggest.  Similar
> work ought to be done someday for the screens themselves (hotplug being
> a reality even for screens; today with PCMCIA and PCI express is just
> beginning to ship).

Or more simply, and for a long time already, with laptops on which one
really want to connect/disconnect an external monitor without restarting
the whole desktop environment ! :)

I'd be happy to help get the necessary support in the radeon driver if X
provides the infrastructure for that.

Benjamin Herrenschmidt <benh at kernel.crashing.org>