Input Devices (was: Re: [Xgl/Xegl] Input Devices )

Jim Gettys Jim.Gettys at hp.com
Tue Aug 2 11:50:08 PDT 2005

You read correctly: modern systems have some sort of hotplug mechanism.

I've been thinking that using DBUS as the way to talk to X itself might
be the way to go.

On systems without modern hotplug facilities, a configuration file could
be read and the server informed what to do from that.

In any case, agents external to the window system should decide if an
input device is to be assigned to the X server.  Those agents are likely
to consult some form of storage so that you don't have to answer the
same question each time (what process each input device should be
assigned to).

				- Jim