A stab at some EXA documentation

Jesse Barnes jbarnes at virtuousgeek.org
Fri Aug 5 18:21:09 PDT 2005

On Friday, August 05, 2005 6:11 pm, Thomas Winischhofer wrote:
> > The AccelInit routine also needs to make sure that there's enough
> > offscreen memory for certain operations to function, like Xvideo,
> > which needs at least as much offscreen memory as there is
> > framebuffer memory?
> >
> > [Is SiS broken here?  It just checks to see if *any* offscreen
> > memory is present, and assumes that's enough.]
>
> No. XVideo memory needs are depending on how big the source video is.
> Your assumption in the previous paragraph is wrong.

So it just has to make sure that *some* offscreen memory is available,
right?  Xv takes care of the rest?

> No, none that I know of. But there are a few DGA problems.

Like what?

> That's not neccessary. The memory pool will be destroyed anyway.

Ok.

> > EXA misc.
> > ---------
> > [FillRect, BlitRect, BlitTransRect need to check for EXA?]
>
> If you're thinking of the SiS driver, these are for DGA.
>
> > [ScreenInit sets FastVidCopyFrom?]
>
> If you're thinking of the SiS driver, that's SiS driver specific (not
> that it would hurt to implement this globally, though).

Ok, it looked that way (yes I just looked at SiS since it's the only EXA
capable driver in the tree), but for i810 it looks like there are
similar problems?

Thanks for looking, I'll update the doc.

Jesse