Stopping work on EGL and Xgl

Bernardo Innocenti bernie at develer.com
Thu Aug 11 18:30:06 PDT 2005

Jon Smirl wrote:

> After discussing this with several people I have decided to stop
> working on EGL and Xgl. The recent work on EXA is going to have the
> side effect of pushing out any hope for an Xgl release by a year or
> more.  By extending the 2D drivers to accelerate composite end user
> demand for Xgl will also be reduced.
>
> I have been donating my full-time effort to this project now for two
> years without pay. I can not justify devoting further time to this
> project without reasonable hope of it reaching completion.
>
> The basic problem is that only two people (myself and DaveR) are
> working on Xgl. Xgl is way too large for two people to finish. I have
> been trying without success for the last year to attract more people
> to work on Xgl.

That's very unfortunate.  I really hope someone steps up to help
you out.  We badly need technology like Xgl to beat the competition.

> Xegl is at the demo stage on the r200. There are instructions in the
> wiki on how to run it. There are still large amounts of work to do to
> add memory management and FBOs to DRI. The Xegl server also need an
> input system and work done to integrate it into the modular tree.

I've been playing with Xephyr, Xegl and mesa-solo for some time.
Even though it's not yet usable, I think it's amazing stuff.
Thank you for working on it!

\X/  http://www.develer.com/