Move XkbStdBell to libX11?

Tue Aug 16 09:36:24 PDT 2005

XKB provides a mechanism for specifying a "type" of bell when
sounding the bell, so desktops could play different sound bytes
for different events, or accessibility helpers could provide
different alternate feedback mechanisms.

A number of the programs in the tree use a helper function to
do this - XkbStdBell, currently found in lib/xkbfile/xkbbells.c.
I believe this is the only thing from libxkbfile any of these
programs use and it appears including it in libxkbfile was just
a convenient way to share code when the XKB support was integrated
with libxkbfile as a private, static-only library, that nothing
outside the X tree was ever supposed to use.

Now that we're moving to the modular tree, it seems silly to
introduce dependencies on the libxkbfile module and shared library
into all these programs for a single function which doesn't even
fit with the purpose of libxkbfile (reading the XKB data files).

Does anyone see a reason that XKBBells.h & xkbbells.c should not
be moved to libX11 for 6.9 & 7.0?   (They are just wrappers around
functions in libX11, so everything that calls them already has to
be linked with libX11.)

If no one on these lists has an objection in the next few days,
I'll send this on to xorg-arch.

	-Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersmith at sun.com