Xgl/Xegl future?

Christian Parpart trapni at gentoo.org
Fri Aug 19 02:55:25 PDT 2005

Hi all,

well, within X11, as an end-user, I'd like to know what exactly the future of
Xgl/Xegl is?

After having read the "Stopping work on EGL and Xgl" by Jon Smirl on exactly
my birthday's day, I must say I am really confused.

However, are there others that are contributing to it? Is there even *any*
future of getting OpenGL-backed X11 some day?

I mean, regarding competition to OS/X and the upcoming Win32, I really fear
for what ppl are going to say about UNIX's user interface.

Or the other way: Will it be possible to do such amazing things w/o
hardware-OpenGL-based X server? Transparency and shadows actually are really
nice, still laggy, but they show some good power, however, I got told that
you could have done with an GL based X server "sooo much" more!

Thanks in advance,
Christian Parpart.

--
 11:49:02 up 149 days, 56 min,  0 users,  load average: 1.01, 0.84, 0.85