Xgl/Xegl future?

Matthias Hopf mhopf at suse.de
Mon Aug 22 10:23:59 PDT 2005

On Aug 22, 05 01:01:37 -0400, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-08-21 at 21:08 -0400, Owen Taylor wrote:
> >
> > Well, the most impressive GL-based compositing manager demos have been
> > the ones that Dave Reveman has been running on top of Xgl...
>
> I know, but I'm not sure that Xgl is actually a crucial part of it:

Not necessarily. You need an Xserver that is capable of displaying a
single OpenGL application, and which can bind window contents in
offscreen memory to textures. Currently, Xgl is the only one I'm aware
of, though.

> > In order to do a good job with a GL-based compositing manager you need:
> >
> >  - Redirection of OpenGL and Xvideo clients
>
> This is true whether the compositing manager is GL based or not.

But an OpenGL based Xserver can use the graphics hardware for scaling
and color conversion of XV surfaces (that's what I've been working on).

> I agree with the other advantages of a GL based X server you cite
> though.

Matthias

--
Matthias Hopf <mhopf at suse.de>       __        __   __