Xorg and Fonts

Ely Levy elylevy-xserver at cs.huji.ac.il
Sun Aug 28 11:22:08 PDT 2005

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005, Russell Shaw wrote:

> >>Alan> I don't think anyone's volunteered to be the font module
> >>Alan> maintainer yet though.
> >>
> >>I could do that if a volunteer is indeed still needed.
> >>
> >>-JimC
>
> Ely Levy wrote:
>  > Would it be more efficient if we start it as another project that might
>  > get into the modular tree later on?
>  > If so anyone else want to join in and help?:)
>  >
>  > Ely Levy
>  > System group
>  > Computer Science
>  > Hebrew University
>  > Jerusalem Israel
>
> What is involved as the font module maintainer? Doesn't the 16-bit font
> protocol need to be thrown out and replaced with 32-bit unicode?

I think we should include only unicode compatible fonts,
I don't have much experience maintaining projects but I think
both of us could do the ground work?
We need to check first there are not duplicate projects and coordinate
with them if there are. We should then do more investigating over each
font exactly what langauges it supports and very important do license
check on it.
After that I think we should discuss with the various font projects about
moving to one central cvs or maintaining the upstream of their font.

Sounds like a good plan?

Ely