Input device design (3)

Olivier Galibert galibert at pobox.com
Mon Aug 29 10:44:35 PDT 2005

On Tue, Aug 30, 2005 at 03:36:04AM +1000, Russell Shaw wrote:
> If the X server was listening to a well known unix socket, the
> messages written to that point by anything in the system would
> need to be in a special format the X server understands.

But are you also going to send the input device events (mouse
position, keys pressed...) through that socket?

> That makes the X server independant of platform specifics. There
> would need to be messages for screen size and scan rates etc, which
> are pretty generic parameters common to most hardware. Does that
> satisfy?

Huh?  Nowadays it seems to me that half of the time you get the screen
size, scan rates, etc either from the bios or direct from the screen
through the video card.  xorg.conf is getting thinner all the time.

  OG.