laptop keyboard problem (resend)

Markus Weiss mweiss38 at gmx.net
Sat Dec 3 07:18:28 PST 2005

Hello,

I have run into a strange problem trying to get the special keys on my
Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop to work (xorg 6.8.2, opensuse 10.0).

I have two keycombinations (Fn+F1 : labelled "Hibernate", Fn+F10: Eject CD)
that were initially not recognized by the Linux kernel.
Running :
setkeycodes e009 161
setkeycodes e00a 205
as suggested by two messages in the syslog made them work correctly on the
text console.
Under X, trying to get the X-keycodes with xev, I can see that "Fn+F1"
produces keycode 165, Fn+F10 produces keycode 204, but upon pressing one of
the two keycombinations xev goes into an infinite loop (seems to detect an
endless lot of keypress events) and has to be interrupted with Ctrl C.
If I restart xev and try again, it doesn't show any event anymore for the two
combinations. There is nothing in the syslog or in Xorg.log.

Can anyone give me a hint, how to debug this ?

Thanks a lot,

Markus