WINDOWPATH environment variable?

Felix Kühling fxkuehl at gmx.de
Mon Dec 5 07:32:37 PST 2005

It sounds like you want the arbitration of the output device handled
consistently with the keyboard focus. So here is an idea: could you run
a daemon in the top-level Xserver that generates special keyboard events
in regular intervals that automatically get propagated to the window and
the application that currently has the keyboard focus. This special
keyboard event could be used as a trigger that tells the application
"you're ok to access the braille terminal". The keyboard event has a
timestamp that could be sent back to the braille terminal along with the
text that is to be displayed. This allows the terminal to determine if
the access right has expired (only the timestamp of the last sent
trigger event is valid).

Just an idea.

Regards,
  Felix

Am Montag, den 05.12.2005, 10:37 +0100 schrieb Samuel Thibault:
> ----- Forwarded message from Sébastien Hinderer <Sebastien.Hinderer at ens-lyon.org> -----
> Hi,
>
> Carsten Haitzler :
> > now given that, i suspect you are trying to attack a problem the wrong way. why
> > do you need such a path as an environment variable? what are you trying to do,
> > why do you need such a window id chain?
>
> Our goal is to provide a uniform way for applications to communicate with
> braille terminals. This allows applications to write text to a braille
> display, and to read and handle keys pressed on the keyboard of braille
> terminals. The communication layer we provide also handles concurrent
> accesses to the lesource. That is, several applications are allowed to
> communicate with braille terminals simultaneously, but only the
> application having the focus will have its information sent to the
> braille device.
>
> The way this concurrency management scheme is implemented is that each
> client tells the server in which window it is running. In addition,
> the server always knows which window has the focus, either because it
> found out this information on its own, or because a client told it who
> has the focus. And this is how the server can, at any moment, know
> precisely whichApplication should be allowed to communicate with the
> braille terminal. And this is where the WINDOWPATH environment
> variable would help. It would let clients know where they are.
>
> That being said, we remain of course open to any suggestion, so please
> let us know if you have ideas about how we could deal with this problem
> in another way.
>
> Cheers,
> Sébastien.

| Felix Kühling <fxkuehl at gmx.de>                     http://fxk.de.vu |
| PGP Fingerprint: 6A3C 9566 5B30 DDED 73C3  B152 151C 5CC1 D888 E595 |