Modular xorg: [drm] Failed to map DMA buffers list

Tilman Sauerbeck tilman at code-monkey.de
Fri Dec 9 08:33:05 PST 2005

Hi,
I've successfully built the modular xorg tree, version 7.0rc3.
However, DRI isn't working properly for me.

According to the X log, initialization of the DRI is successful:

(II) MGA(0): [DRI] installation complete
(II) MGA(0): [drm] Mapped 128 DMA buffers
(II) MGA(0): [drm] dma control initialized, using IRQ 11
(==) MGA(0): Direct rendering enabled

However, on stderr (on the terminal I'm running startx on), I'm seeing
the following:

[drm] Failed to map DMA buffers list

Running glxinfo with LIBGL_DEBUG set to 'verbose',
I'm getting:

libGL error: XF86DRIQueryDirectRenderingCapable returned false
direct rendering: No

The drm error message above apparently is from
xf86-video-mga-1.2.1.1/src/mga_dri.c:962
The function that's failing is drmMapBufs(), which is failing at the 2nd
time the DRM_IOCTL_MAP_BUFS ioctl is called.
Although I installed libdrm 2.0 (which contains that function), it seems
xorg is using xf86drm.c from the xorg-server package.
Not sure whether that's a problem, but it seems weird to me.

Should I have "mga_dri.so" somewhere on my system? I don't, but since
I'm seeing an error message from mga_dri.c on my screen and
/usr/X11R6/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/mga_drv.so contains some drm-related
symbols, I'm guessing it contains DRI functionality.

I'm using the DRM kernel modules that ship with Linux 2.6.14.

Any idea on how to get DRI running? I attached the xorg logfile, maybe
it'll help.

Thanks,
Tilman