PROBLEM: this list

Jim Cornette jim-cornette at insight.rr.com
Fri Dec 23 20:18:11 PST 2005

Patrick McFarland wrote:

>On Friday 23 December 2005 12:21, Michael L. Wright wrote:
>

>>A few weeks ago I decided it was time to move from my old dependable RH/7.2
>>on a desktop to FC3 on a laptop.  Little did I know what I was in for.
>>

>I shall respond with this troll with a non-troll: Redhat/Fedora Core sucks,
>use Ubuntu, and you'll never have another problem ever again.

The inability for Debian to allow my Intel 815 card to work while RHL
worked fine with the same computer determined why I chose one
distribution over another. There goes the never have a problem again
argument. (Several years ago). Trying another distribution about last
year that was based on Debian was still a mess with an Intel 815 video.

I downloaded the free VMWare player (both for wintel and for linux)  and
tried the demo for Ubuntu. The distribution felt as easy to navigate as
if  I was using FC with the same desktop manager (Gnome). Though the
distributions have different concepts, system tools and other details,
they all are intended to work in much the same way.

Regarding the RHL7.2 Linux version. I found that versions after this
release failed to work properly with a Toshiba laptop due to something
that was changed in X. The screen would be aright until you launched X
when starting in runlevel 3. When you closed down X, all you had on your
montor was a washed out display. You could still type commands in the
shell and the computer would respond to the command, even startx would
bring up X to a working state again.
If  I recall, ximian had some kernel compatibility module for certain
items in GNOME to work with older versions of the kernel.

The short of this is that there are too many variables with hardware,
distribution tools and program loading order for any distribution to
outweigh the other in absolute superiority. A comparison for one
element, a driver, a distribution, a choice between forked applications
or environments.

BTW - the problem that I was having with the Radeon driver was due to
different SELinux rules needed because of the relocation of the DRI
drivers in the modular build. - /usr/lib/dri/radeon_dri.so compared to
the previous location under /usr/X11R6<rest-of-path>. I did not need to
get EXA working afterall. The 3D works great now. I am still open to
where setup information for EXA can be located.

Jim

--
Time sure flies when you don't know what you're doing.