Concerns about the i915 driver

Alan Hourihane alanh at fairlite.demon.co.uk
Tue Jun 7 00:54:56 PDT 2005

On Tue, Jun 07, 2005 at 04:55:54AM +0000, Kasper Grubbe wrote:
> Hello.
> I want to buy a laptop with the GMA900 graphic card in it, i read
> through some forums and websites that i have to use the i915 driver,
> or it is called i810.
> Unfortunately i have read that i have to use the xorg cvs to use the
> i915 driver, is that correct? And is the DRI modules in the xorg-cvs
> so i can enable it when compiled?
> And are there 3d acceleration in the driver?

For i915GM support you have to use the CVS as X.Org hasn't released a
version since that code became available.

You are correct that the driver to use is the 'i810' driver as it contains
support for all Intel chipsets since the i810.

Also, 3D acceleration is available, but you must also use one of the
2.6.12-rc?? kernels as it's the only kernel that has the right DRM module
for the i915GM support too.

Alan.