CVS Update: xc (branch: trunk)

Thomas Hellström unichrome at shipmail.org
Tue Jun 28 22:17:27 PDT 2005

Hi!

Donnie Berkholz wrote:

>Thomas Hellstrom wrote:
>

>>CVSROOT:	/cvs/xorg
>>Module name:	xc
>>Changes by:	unichrome at gabe.freedesktop.org	05/06/28 15:49:21
>>
>>Log message:
>>  Restructure Via XvMC for multiple hardware drivers.
>>  Make Via XvMC use the DRI protocol for efficient drawable handling,
>>  overlay updates and initialization.

>>Added files:
>>      xc/lib/XvMC/hw/via/:
>>        driDrawable.c driDrawable.h xf86dri.c xf86dri.h
>>        xf86dristr.h
>>

>All the xf86* files seem very similar to the ones in lib/GL/glx. Is that
>going to change at some point, or can this seeming duplication be
>reduced at all?
>
>Thanks!

I was planning to start using libdrm as soon as it is available and gets
installed in /usr/X11R6/lib.
However, as libdrm is an interface to the kernel, this won't include the
xf86dri protocol definition files, which are very similar to the ones in
lib/GL/glx, but the latter have been slightly modified to include some
types from Mesa. This change needs to be reverted first.

One could move out xf86dri* and create a shared library libdriclient.so,
which was discussed on the dri-devel list. This would require some Mesa
changes. The reason I cannot use a symlink is that this causes a symbol
clash with strange errors in xine where both libGL and libXvMCW are
loaded by different drivers.

A proposal for a shared library is on my todo-list.

/Thomas