dual head with intel driver

Simon Zilliken simon.zn at online.de
Sat Jul 14 09:41:15 PDT 2007

Hi,

I'm trying to set up an external display for my laptop with an intel gma965
chipset, but with no success so far. It's probably an issue with the
resolutions. Looking at Xorg.0.log I found the following:

(II) intel(0): Output LVDS connected
(II) intel(0): Output TMDS-1 connected
(II) intel(0): Output LVDS using initial mode 1440x900
(II) intel(0): Output TMDS-1 using initial mode 1280x1024

The resolution for LVDS seems ok, but it's not used. I get a desktop that's
larger than the display. The resolution for TMDS-1 should be 1680x1050.

(II) intel(0): Output configuration:
(II) intel(0):   Pipe A is on
(II) intel(0):   Display plane A is now enabled and connected to pipe A.
(II) intel(0):   Pipe B is on
(II) intel(0):   Display plane B is now enabled and connected to pipe B.
(II) intel(0):   Output LVDS is connected to pipe B
(II) intel(0):   Output TMDS-1 is connected to pipe A

According to this I added 'Option "MonitorLayout" "DFP,LFP"' to the device
section in my xorg.conf, but ...

(II) intel(0): RandR 1.2 enabled, ignore the following RandR disabled message.
(WW) intel(0): Option "MonitorLayout" is not used
(WW) intel(0): Option "DevicePresence" is not used
(--) RandR disabled

Does anybody have an idea what's going wrong here?

Thanks,
Simon