Dual-head on i810 driver -- almost works

Andrew McMillan andrew at mcmillan.net.nz
Thu May 3 04:36:30 PDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-05-02 at 16:39 -0400, Greg Stark wrote:
> I recently updated drivers and for the first time I've been able to get
> dual-head to kind of work with the i810 driver. Actually it works perfectly
> but it's always in clone mode. I don't want clone mode (why does it even
> exist, what's it good for anyways?).

Heh.  Well I had to use it recently when OpenOffice *refused* to display
in presentation mode on an attached projector.  Very frustrating, but at
least I was able to switch to clone mode instead and run my
presentation.

A wee bit embarrassing because I was presenting to a bunch of people who
set the standards by which schools are evaluated, rather than my normal
geeky audience :-)

> I can't figure out how to turn off clone mode. The man page no longer lists
> the driver-specific options to control multi-head layouts and instead says to
> use 'Option "Clone" "false"' in the ServerLayout section. I've tried this but
> it still gives me two copies of the same screen.

You need to:

(a) add a "Virtual" line to the appropriate Subsection "Display" within
Section "Screen", like:

           Virtual         2680 1050

i.e. (1400 + 1280)wide x (1050)high for my own case.

In full, my Screen section looks like this:

Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "Default Screen"
        Device          "Intel 945GM/GMS/940GML"
        Monitor         "Laptop Panel"
        DefaultDepth    24
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth           24
                Virtual         2680 1050
        EndSubSection
EndSection

(b) Use xrandr, to choose a non-clone configuration.  To turn on my
external 1280x1024 monitor and put it to the right of my laptop screen,
I use something like this:

xrandr --output VGA --auto --pos 1400x0 --right-of LVDS

Cheers,
					Andrew McMillan.