Re: Announcing free software drivers for the new Intel® 965GM Express Chipset

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Thu May 10 09:11:53 PDT 2007

Keith Packard wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-05-10 at 11:51 +0100, Colin Guthrie wrote:
>
>> /me wonders if I can upgrade my laptops graphics chip from 945GM to
>> 965GM and if it's really worth while anyway.
>
> Uh, no. Chipsets in laptops are generally soldered to the motherboard.

/me was hoping it would be a simple graphics card switch with MXM or
AXIOM, but I guess that was a pipe dream :(

Seems my Dell can be configured at build time to use nvidia ATi or Intel
chips (I think with a proprietory Dell only MXM/AXIOM hybrid) but I
guess changing the intel board for a newer model is not quite that simple.

Hey ho

Col