GPL flag for x.org drivers

Kean Johnston kean at armory.com
Tue May 15 10:43:00 PDT 2007

> Fact is, that vendors call their drivers "Linux compliant". So I expect
> a program which runs fine under Linux _and_ X. This is a pair you
> cannot bisect after such statement.
I think what nVidia and ATI do *are* "Linux compliant". I can install
Linux, I can install X.org, and I can drive my nVidia or ATI hardware
with their drivers. Thats as "compliant" as it needs to be. I think
wher you err is that you assume that because it runs on Linux it MUST
be open source. Thats not "Linux compliant", thats "open source
compliant" and those are two extremely different things.