Synaptics MIT license, again

Carlos Corbacho cathectic at gmail.com
Mon May 21 04:21:09 PDT 2007

This seems to have stalled a bit, and after the work that has gone into it
so far, it would be a shame to waste that. A few comments on the new
e-mail:

> Sorry to contact you again. All contributors have agreed to the license
> change, but our mail asking you for the license change might have been
> misleading. For a detailled discussion see [1]. We (the xorg-developers)
> still would like to have the synaptics driver under the same license as
> the xorg-server and if you are still willing to switch the license,
> please confirm once again.

Perhaps you should mention again exactly why this relicensing is happening -
e.g.

We (the xorg-developers) still would like to have the synaptics driver under
the same license as the xorg-server so that synaptics can be distributed
with X.Org. If you are still willing to change the license to MIT/X11,
please could you confirm once again.

Or something along those lines.

> - tell the developers/contributors that the GPLv2 license is in that
>   way incompatible that some lawyers say that it would turn the whole
>   X.org project into a GPLv2 project (the situation is legally not
>   clear)

The wording here is a little confused. Perhaps:

Tell the developers/contributors that the GPLv2 license is incompatible with
the MIT/X11 license (in that MIT/X11 code cannot include GPLv2 code, even
though GPLv2 can include MIT/X11). Some lawyers argue that including GPLv2
code in the MIT/X11 licensed X.Org tree would turn the whole X.Org project
into a GPLv2 project (the situation is legally not very clear). For this
reason, X.Org has opted to steer clear of this by insisting that all code
distributed as part of X.Org is MIT/X11 licensed.

-Carlos
Uni: c.corbacho at cs.ucl.ac.uk
Home: cathectic at gmail.com
GPG Key ID: 0x23EE722D