Synaptics MIT license, again

Dave Airlie airlied at gmail.com
Mon May 21 09:30:48 PDT 2007

> I think part of the advantage is future maintenance.
>
> By the way, I find it hard to understand a disagreement to the X.org's
> chosen license by those who do X11-related coding work or even use any
> product of the software with these MIT-style licenses.

For a driver writers perspective it comes from manufacturers taking
changes back and never helping out going forward,

For drivers for X.org I think using the LGPL or GPL is quite a valid
idea going forward, for the core server I've no problem contributing
under MIT as I like to see X deployed in as many places as it can get,
however for drivers I'd rather see them not disappear into binary
land..

Dave.