Synaptics MIT license, again

Stuart Kreitman Stuart.Kreitman at Sun.COM
Tue May 22 15:14:20 PDT 2007

Thomas Dickey wrote:
> On Tue, 22 May 2007, Xavier Bestel wrote:
>

>> On mar, 2007-05-22 at 21:59 +0200, Krzysztof Halasa wrote:
>>
>>> the goal of X.org
>>> is to give it to both open-source and closed-source users
>>>
>> Out of curiosity, are there still people using Xorg that way ?
>> If nobody ships a modified Xorg, that goal seems moot.

We at Sun do plenty of bugfixes and features on our own source pools on
our own schedule.
So, we do ship a modified Xorg, but it is not a closed source Xorg.
Our putbacks to the Xorg pools are done asyncronously to our own work.
Case in point is our Trusted Extensions
that must be coordinated to Solaris releases.  They'll make it to an
Xorg git repository near you, someday soon.

> presumably the sponsors of X.Org get some benefit (you might spend a few
> seconds learning who pays the bills).

The benefit to sponsors these days is pretty much limited to the
privilege to make a donation.

Stuart Kreitman