intel 2.0.0, syncmaster 225bw, thinkpad t60 and resolution

Rainer Wittmaack ningo at gmx.net
Tue May 29 10:54:06 PDT 2007

Hi,

Because my problem is rather complicated, I'll first explain the
circumstances.

My Laptop is a Thinkpad T60, with an 'Intel Corporation Mobile
945GM/GMS, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller' also
known as intel(4) to X11.

I have a LCD on my Laptop, with a resolution of 1024x768 (the 'int.
LCD') and an Syncmaster 225BW connected to my Laptop (the 'ext. LCD).
EDIDs opinion about the ext. LCD:

#v+
		# EDID version 1 revision 3
Section "Monitor"
	# Block type: 2:0 3:fd
	# Block type: 2:0 3:fc
	Identifier "SyncMaster"
	VendorName "SAM"
	ModelName "SyncMaster"
	# Block type: 2:0 3:fd
	HorizSync 30-81
	VertRefresh 56-75
	# Max dot clock (video bandwidth) 170 MHz
	# Block type: 2:0 3:fc
	# Block type: 2:0 3:ff
	# DPMS capabilities: Active off:yes  Suspend:no  Standby:no

	Mode 	"1680x1050"	# vfreq 59.954Hz, hfreq 65.290kHz
		DotClock	146.250000
		HTimings	1680 1784 1960 2240
		VTimings	1050 1053 1059 1089
		Flags	"+HSync" "-VSync"
	EndMode
	# Block type: 2:0 3:fd
	# Block type: 2:0 3:fc
	# Block type: 2:0 3:ff
EndSection

#v-

The Goal is to use the ext. LCD only. However I tried various
xorg.conf configurations. The ext. LCD is horribly blurry but is
running at 1680x1050, according to xrandr. The int. LCD is always on
and shows a 1024x768 fraction of the screen. So what I'm trying to do
now is 1) turning the int. LCD off, and 2) removing the blurr from the
ext. LCD.  I've a strong feeling that the blurr on the ext. LCD is
connected to the int. LCD not shutting off.

Attached is an xorg.configuration for OpenBSD that does exactly what I
want. CP'ing this file directly (and changing the mouse interface of
course) tells me that some module cannot be loaded and exits.
Recreating this file via X -configure and changing the interesting
questions tells me "Option MonitorLayout not used"  and the situation
mentioned above remains. (According to Google that's because Intel
2.0.0 doesn't use this Option anymore.)

In summa: How can I get my ext. LCD working under Linux?
--
You definitely intend to start living sometime soon.