Compiz shadow breakage related to pixman

Michel Dänzer michel at tungstengraphics.com
Thu May 31 01:47:47 PDT 2007

With current xserver master on my PowerBook, the shadows drawn by compiz
(well, really gtk-window-decorator) have a hard edge instead of being
soft as intended. See the attached image.

As far as I've been able to determine[0] this was introduced with commit
c5ef84c325440af5fbdf9f44c3781d99a0392df9 ('Make the general compositing
code create a pixman image and call pixman_image_composite().').

Since nobody else has reported this I'll assume it's platform specific.
The two usual suspects would be endianness and char being unsigned by
default. When I get time, I could try building pixman with -fsigned-char
to test for the latter. Let me know if there's anything else I can do to
narrow this down further.

[0] Bisecting this was a pain because older xserver commits tend not to
work with newer pixman commits. Until an ABI is maintained for pixman,
it might make sense to keep it in the xserver tree.