dual head configuration question ( i810 driver )

Peter Skensved peter at jay.phy.queensu.ca
Thu May 31 09:07:27 PDT 2007

    Hi,
  I have a Lenovo laptop with Intel 945 graphics and i810 driver running CentOS5 .
1680 x 1050 resolution works on the LCD ( using 915resolution to `fix' the BIOS
modes and echo 1 > /proc/sys/kernel/acpi_video_flag to fix hibernate to memory )
but for doing presentations I'd like to be able to run the external video in
simultaneously in 1280x1024 resolution.

 I've googled and tinkered with the xorg.conf file without much success. The only
solution I have at the moment is to run another X-server in 1280x1024 on virtual
terminal 8 by adding the following to the xorg.conf file :

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen1"
        Device     "Videocard0"
        Monitor    "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth     24
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth      24
                Modes      "1280x1024"
        EndSubSection
EndSection

 and doing a  startx -- :1 -screen Screen1

 This is not ideal and there is a small annoying problem with the configuration of the
Synaptics touchpad in that even though I can set and get the parameters with synclient
the second X-server doesn't act on them properly.

 I can use xrandr to cange resolution on the fly but I lose part of the ( virtual )
screen in the process.

 What I'd really like is to have whatever I have on the LCD ( in 1680x1050 ) come out
simultaneously on the CRT in 1280x1024 resolution . Is this possible ???

                                                     peter