GPL and missing licenses in xf86-input-keyboard? (was Re: [ANNOUNCE] xf86-input-keyboard1.2.2)

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Thu Sep 6 05:45:02 PDT 2007

On Thu, 6 Sep 2007, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

> I worded that wrong. I meant to say:
>
> Has anyone asked the copyright owner of that code if it can be re-used
> under the standard X.org license (or whatever MIT/X11/XFree86 license
> that might be also in it)?
>
> I forgot to list in my last email that it is also based on code with this
> license:

NOTE: the following license is incompatible with GPL.

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/bsd.html

We probably shouldn't have even mixed this code with incompatible
licenses.

On that note, we shouldn't have distributed this xf86-input-keyboard
tarball without including the licenses.

Or is there a newer license for this code released by the copyright owner
that removes the advertising clause?

We need to make sure that every released tarball has a valid COPYING file.

> /*
>  * Copyright 1992 by Orest Zborowski <obz at Kodak.com>
>  * Copyright 1993 by David Dawes <dawes at xfree86.org>
>  *
>  * Permission to use, copy, modify, distribute, and sell this software and its
>  * documentation for any purpose is hereby granted without fee, provided that
>  * the above copyright notice appear in all copies and that both that
>  * copyright notice and this permission notice appear in supporting
>  * documentation, and that the names of Orest Zborowski and David Dawes
>  * not be used in advertising or publicity pertaining to distribution of
>  * the software without specific, written prior permission.  Orest Zborowski
>  * and David Dawes make no representations about the suitability of this
>  * software for any purpose.  It is provided "as is" without express or
>  * implied warranty.
>  *
>  * OREST ZBOROWSKI AND DAVID DAWES DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES WITH REGARD
>  * TO THIS SOFTWARE, INCLUDING ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND
>  * FITNESS, IN NO EVENT SHALL OREST ZBOROWSKI OR DAVID DAWES BE LIABLE
>  * FOR ANY SPECIAL, INDIRECT OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR ANY DAMAGES
>  * WHATSOEVER RESULTING FROM LOSS OF USE, DATA OR PROFITS, WHETHER IN AN
>  * ACTION OF CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE OR OTHER TORTIOUS ACTION, ARISING OUT OF
>  * OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OR PERFORMANCE OF THIS SOFTWARE.
>  *
>  */

  Jeremy C. Reed