Recommend hardware - dual head, open drivers?

Luc Verhaegen libv at skynet.be
Tue Sep 18 05:16:16 PDT 2007

On Tue, Sep 18, 2007 at 10:15:22AM +0200, Fredrik Jonson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can anyone recommend a graphics card with the following specs:
>
>  * Open source drivers, I don't want closed source drivers.
>  * Dual head - supporting two separate desktops/screens, not
>    one huge screen split over two displays (don't know the
>    technical term for these modes?).
>  * PCIe 1x or 16x (or plain old pci).
>  * Not too expensive. Today I don't play games and only use 2D,
>    so I don't believe I need a 3D-monster.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> --
> Fredrik Jonson

With the initial radeonhd driver now being pushed out and with AMDs
continuing drive to make more and more information available, any r5xx
or r6xx device that fits your price bracket will, at one point in the
future, make you a happy X/free software user :)

Luc Verhaegen.
SUSE/Novell X driver developer.