radeonhd vs. avivo ?

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Thu Sep 27 14:43:43 PDT 2007

On Thu, Sep 27, 2007 at 11:21:28PM +0200, Matthieu Herrb wrote:
> Xavier Bestel wrote:
> > On Thu, 2007-09-27 at 14:56 +0200, Hanno Böck wrote:
> >> After the AMD spec release and the radeonhd-driver, I wanted to ask what the
> >> status of the avivo-driver is.
> >>
> >> It seems that both avivo and radeonhd have the same goal, supporting r500/r600
> >> cards. Does the release of radeonhd mean that avivo is dead? Will they be
> >> merged? Will we have competing drivers for some time?
> >>
> >> Would be nice if some of the devs could make a statement on that.
> >
> > IIRC, the author himself (Jérôme Glisse) stated that avivo was now
> > deprecated and replaced by radeonhd. It will stay because it's a great
> > example of a clean skeleton driver though.
>
> Sorry to sound like a broken record, but to be useful for that purpose,
> the authors need to agree to switch back the license to a MIT/X11 one.

It's still entirely useful to people who feel that the GPL is an
acceptable license for their driver.  Judging by how many drivers the
Linux kernel has, this represents a pretty large group of people.

(Note that it's explicitly GPL version 2 and not 3, and that anyone who
 wants to use it in proprietary code is welcome to contact us and ask.)

Cheers,
Daniel