Window Transparency without Compositing Manager

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Thu Aug 7 06:22:36 PDT 2008

On Thu, Aug 07, 2008 at 06:12:11AM -0700, coldfire wrote:
> I would like to know the programmatic way of achieving window transparency
> (alpha) without using compmgr.

You need to use a compositing manager.

> I was using transset with xcompmgr but i have to do transset functionality
> without xcompmgr.

Why? Do you mean without xcompmgr specifically, or without a composition
manager at all?

> What about using XShape. But the examples using XShape are only for gl
> objects made for tutorial. Insteasd I want to give Window XID to XShape to
> achieve window transparency. Any hints.

This won't really work.  You can do _full_ transparency (i.e. specify
areas you can't see at all, and are completely invisible), but not
partial transparency with alpha blending.

> What about XRender and XComposite to make it work? I dont know what to look
> for using these two extensions to achieve alpha transparency.

XComposite requires a compositing manager.

Cheers,
Daniel