Window Transparency without Compositing Manager

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Thu Aug 7 07:31:08 PDT 2008

On Thu, Aug 07, 2008 at 10:10:52PM +0800, Sam Spilsbury wrote:
> Sorry, looks like my original email didn't go through.
> > On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 10:05 PM, saad shams <saad.shams at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Yes. I need "not to use composition manager"
> >>
> >> Ok, i got it what you explained about X Get/Put Image. So, its out of
> >> relevance now.
> >>

> > I suppose it would be possible to remove the displayed part of the
> > window so the occluded area will be displayed, take a snapshot, then
> > XRender blend the image underneath your transparency.

Thus causing a flash every time you needed to render something.

Of course, composition would let you do that without flickering, but
hey, we're not using a composition manager here.

This really is a case of, 'I'd like to get from Helsinki to Melbourne in
two days or less, yet I absolutely cannot fly'.

Cheers,
Daniel